There are 5 main types of Fire Extinguisher
1) Water Type Fire Extinguisher Water fire extinguishers are suitable for Class A (solid burning) fires. Using water to cool and therefore extinguish the fire is the most traditional way to combat fires. Water extinguishers with additive are also safe on electrical fires and have an increased A rating.
2) Foam Type Fire Extinguisher A foam fire extinguisher is capable of controlling flammable solid fires – those fuelled by ordinary inflammable substances such as wood, paper, cloth, hay etc. – as well as being able to put out a flammable liquid fire – fires fuelled by flammable oils, petrol, diesel, spirits etc. (To use the fire classification system, this type of extinguisher is capable of tackling class A and B fires).
3) Protable Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguisher Carbon Dioxide extinguishers are filled with non-flammable carbon dioxide gas under extreme pressure. You can recognize a CO2 extinguisher by its hard horn and lack of pressure gauge.
4) Portable Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher Dry powder fire extinguisher is the most versatile fire extinguishers available.It is ideal for areas with multiple fire hazards as it is effective on class A ( Carbonaceous material such as paper and wood), Class B (Flammable liquids ) & Class C ( Flammable gas) fires.only fires involving flammable metals such as magnesium and sodium should be avoided.
5) Wet Chemical Fire Extinguisher Wet Chemical Fire extinguisher are designed for use on class F fires, involving cooking oils and fats and organic materials such as papers, fabrics and textiles, wook and coal.